Gallery

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel breaks ground on tennis center for inner-city Negro kids - White kids can find their own tennis courts

Batter William
For nine years, Corinne Salter has spent five days a week at her “second home” otherwise known as XS Tennis. For the first five years, she was more like the “mascot” for the nation’s largest minority tennis organization.

“I was cute. . . . I was clumsy. I spent way more time picking up balls than I did hitting them. But now, I’m having a breakout year. I got a perfect score on the entrance exam to Whitney Young. I’m putting in extra hours on Sunday afternoons. My feet have finally stopped growing,” said Corinne, who just graduated from sixth grade at Skinner West Elementary Schools.


“I represent the next generation of XS players whose future is now secured with the XS Tennis Village,” she said. “This new academic and athletic center will provide a permanent space for us to continue pursuing college scholarships and joining the dozens of XS alumni who’ve been able to access college through tennis scholarships. Becoming a college-level student-athlete presents our greatest opportunity to access and complete college.”



Fashion


To Top